Some of my friends in certain parts are discussing which fall and winter colours they will be dressed in for the next couple of weeks while I am busy shopping for some comfortable sandals, slingbacks and peep-toes. The Nairobi sun has proven to be unforgiving and I have to confess I am looking forward to the next holiday.
October went with the wind and Kenya is looking forward to celebrating 50 years of independence.
Anniversaries and birthdays always take you down memory lane and give you that chance to reflect, cry , laugh, chastise and move on. My recent birthday, that was spent behind my computer did exactly that. Here are some of my reflections:
- Always have passport size pictures in your wallet/purse especially if you are in the middle of some application process.
- Everything adds up. Learning comes in all shapes, sizes and in different places. So, pay attention
- Hugs make life better
- You can’t possibly live without a pair of comfortable shoes
- Fear will always be a hindrance
- Early morning me-times are one of the best times to get your reading or writing mojo on.
- While we are on the subject of reading, always have some reading material in your handbag or man-bag….one of the best ways to kill time in a Nairobi traffic jam, when queuing….I promise, you won’t regret it.
- Paperbacks will always rule over e-what-you-may-call-it (at least in my perfect world)
- Listening to someone with your whole being is one of the best gifts ever
- Never apologize for being yourself and never use it as an excuse
- Sorry Mary Poppins but just a spoonful of sugar does not always help the medicine go down. Bitter pills are a necessary evil if you want to learn a life lesson once via the hard way.
- One other special thing: genuinely praying for the people who you love and don’t love.
- You need to get vaccinated for the following disease that has the following aliases (especially if you are 20-something):
- Obsessive Comparison Disorder (OCD)
- Analysis Paralysis
If you don’t define success, it will remain a UFO that you will never take a picture of -Paul Angone
- There’s persistence, there’s consistency and having a stick-to-it-attitude. Then, there’s just plain ol’ stupidity. Some things don’t always give
- You have to fire your mentor, sponsor or (fill in your blank) when (s)he’s just not into you anymore.
- Focus more on the IRL (In Real Life) than the URL. (Pssst! You’ll have even more to share online).
- You are more than the sum of your past mistakes-Tenth Avenue North
- Doodling makes the world a better place
- This is your time.This is your dance (Michael W Smith)
- Whoever said eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and supper like a pauper was spot on.
- Everyone needs a feel-good-pick-me-up playlist. Les Miserables’ One Day More is definitely on mine.
- You can never go wrong with handwritten notes, letters, journals and cards
- Black goes with everything that you could possibly wear except your soul.
Faith is not a Mr or Ms, America contest-Paul Angone